Hello, Friends! It’s been awhile! The unexpected (but very necessary) purchase of a new furnace and water heater at the very end of January kind of took the wind out of our renovating
You’re looking at the end of my dreams for a screened in porch to sunroom conversion this year. Oh well. There’s always next year. Upward and onward.
Now that Spring is upon us, I have been itching to get into the yard. We re-landscaped the front yard last year, but there’s still a bit to do out there. Remember this little bed?
I planted carissa hollys along the back and filled in the rest with asiatic jasmine ground cover. Looks so promising, doesn’t it? Well, here’s how it looked a few weeks ago.
I fought an unending weed battle all year in this bed, and I think it’s fair to say I lost the war. Even worse, a little critter came along last Fall and feasted on the jasmine. Half of the darn plants were reduced to sticks.
So a couple of weekends ago I carefully removed the jasmine and took off the top several inches of soil in hopes of getting rid of the majority of the weed seeds. Then I put down some fresh top soil and replanted the jasmine. I picked up some repellent spray to keep the hungry critters at bay, so my hopes are high that we’re headed in the right direction.
I wanted to add a bit more interest to this bed so I decided to add a container garden. I took a container gardening class at a local nursery last weekend, and this is what I ended up with:
And here it is in the new and improved bed:
My favorite part is the lemon cypress in the planter. If you run your fingers over the foliage, they smell like lemon. I love it, and I’m so happy to have it.
Speaking of container gardening, I finally got something planted in the urns by the front door a couple of months ago.
I went to Pikes looking for shade tolerant plants and ended up replicating one of the planters they had on display.
As for the rest of the yard, I’d like to fill in some of the beds we planted last year and plant summer annuals over the next few weeks. There’s also a pressing need to address our lawn since this happened:
A few weeks ago we had a bobcat come in and clear the brush and 50+ year old blacktop from our side yard. The dumpster was placed in the front, and here’s the result:
Thankfully, we’ve been planning on re-seeding late this Spring anyway. We will be busy bees! More on the brush removal in the rest of the yard later. That’s a monster for another post!