Do you want to know what my favorite part about this project was? From the time I decided to take it on to completion was less than a week and a half. After 2 years of working away on this house, I haven’t taken on anything so easy.
Here’s a reminder of what we started with:
There wasn’t anything totally offensive about it. It clearly hadn’t received a fresh coat of paint in decades. The light fixture consisted of a bare bulb and a pull string that was black with grime. But it did function well enough. All it really needed was a little bit of organization. But why stop there when you can add stripes?
After I painted the closet, we picked up a new hanging rod and couple of cheap pine boards to use as shelves. I sanded them down, stained them, and put 3 coats of polyurethane on them. I picked up 4 Ikea Byholma baskets to hold ironing supplies, hats, gloves and all the other necessities we had jammed in the closet.
And good news! I have more room for a couple more baskets. Best to have room to grow, right? I’ll pick up a couple more this week.
The bare bulb fixture was finally swapped out with one of these cheapies.
And I finished it off with a decorative pull.
Shoe storage remained the only issue. We’ve piled our shoes into a large basket for the last 5 years we’ve lived together. It was not functional at all. I can’t tell you how many mornings I emptied the contents of the basket until I found both shoes I was looking for. Our short term solution was a hanging shoe bag. It worked well but took up valuable space in the small closet. We eventually opted for an over door shoe organizer. We went with this one from the Container Store because it was the only one that fit Steve’s shoes. It certainly made for an easy decision.
And now there’s room for the vacuum cleaner, steam mop, and ironing board in there. They’ve been living in the guest room until now. It’s nice to finally clear these items out of there!
Also completed this weekend: We finished sanding down the spackle in the entry and hallway. Not sure what the next step in that project will be, but we’re moving in the right direction.