Our yard needs some serious work.
It wasn’t so bad when we moved in.
But about a month after this photo was taken, the yard was ripped up to replace a pipe running underneath. I guess when the county saw the permits pulled, they decided it would be a good time to access our side yard (to the right) to do some work on the creek that runs near our property. In the process, they tore up the side of the yard with the machinery. We didn’t really care – the pipe needed to be replaced and aside from the grass, the county didn’t do much damage. And they promised to be back to the following October to sod the area they tore up.
Since April isn’t exactly the ideal time to grow grass, our lawn turned to weeds when all the work was done. And we were so focused on the inside of the house that by August the landscaping was embarrassingly out of control.
So one weekend we went to town weeding, chopping, and pruning. In fact, we may have been a little overzealous in our efforts. When October rolled around, the county sent out a crew to sod the right side of our yard. Since the front yard was such a mess, we convinced them to use the sod there instead.
They worked around the remaining bermuda sod that was in good shape and put fescue down everywhere except at the very top since they didn’t have enough. In retrospect, we should have asked if we could pay them to to the area up top too, but I guess it just didn’t occur to us. So we planted rye thinking it was too late in the season for anything else to come up.
Knowing we needed to do something about the rest of the landscaping, in January, 2011 I took a 6 week landscape design course through a local arts center. It was money well spent, and I walked out with a full set of plans.
Before we started re-landscaping, I wanted to have the exterior redone so we didn’t risk painters stepping over new plants. So in May, 2011 we had rotting soffits replaced, gutters and trim painted, and the vinyl siding on the gable replaced with hardi-shake.
We also purchased a mahogany door that we stained, sealed, and hung (the door was being dry fitted in the picture above so we could make any adjustments to it before staining). The picture above is also a good representation of why you shouldn’t seed rye. We spent the majority of last summer getting bermuda to grow there (the only seed option here in summertime) as well as cleaning up beds in preparation for new plants.
But we burned out. And I realized that I would rather have the family room finished instead of the landscaping done at that point, so we turned inside and spent our money there.
So here we are today.
We’re in the process of getting quotes to have stumps removed and areas cleared for new plantings. Then it will finally be time plant. More on my plans later. And this fall, we’re going to have everything that isn’t fescue taken up and put new sod down. You know, what we should have done in the first place. I will be so excited to finally complete this project!